Thursday, April 28, 2011

Bike Share at Work


I love seeing an active bike sharing program in action while touring the NASA campus south of Houston in Clear Lake. NASA employees can grab a bike outside one building and bike across the entire campus to go hang out with the astronauts in training or in any other building of their choosing, and they can get there quickly via bicycle.




Another place where this is in use is in the "backstage" areas of some of the Walt Disney World parks. I used to hop on a bike after parking outside the main employee building at the Disney Studios, and then I could ride around the back portion of the park, behind the scenes, until I neared the employee entrance to the ride where I served as a tour guide. It was so much fun, especially when the backstage tour tram would pass by, and you could wave to all the tourists visiting the park while bicycling to and from your job. I have great memories of this, and I also got great exercise doing this every day. I actually lost weight while working for a semester at this Disney park, due in part to my daily bicycle share program at my workplace.


Space City Cycleshare would be a fabulous edition to the Texas Medical Center, since the buildings I visit as a student are very spread out, and some fellow students go to work in TMC hospitals many blocks away from our class building. A cycle share program would be a welcome addition to the TMC. Let's get cycling!

No comments:

Post a Comment